Today’s post is brought to you by the letter H. H begins all kinds of important words, like “horticulture!” And “hemorrhage!” And “holy shit I need to take a break from writing right now or I’m going to pass out with my face down on the keyboard and the neighbors won’t find my maggot-gnawed body until July.” I’m chin-deep in a ton of work, which means I’m forgetting meals, I’m making nasty crackling joint noises whenever I move my wrists, and I’m seeing black Times New Roman inside my eyelids when I try to sleep. But I’m not complaining – I need this stress and frustration in my life. Harmony. Happiness. Other H-words. Hurrah!
I hate repetition and my schedule was getting kind of stale, so for motivation I’ve created a playlist of ANGRY EMPOWERING BREAKUP SONGS that I unabashedly lipsync to while running/ponytail-bouncing, writing, cleaning, cooking (AKA microwaving leftover fast food), etc. So if you’re a runner or a walker or a rower or just need to get a ton of shit done, I highly recommend downloading these songs and giving mental hell to the forces trying to bring you down. 68% satisfaction guaranteed (that nearly doubles if you sing along).
1. “You Oughta Know” – Alanis Morissette
2. “Survivor” – Destiny’s Child
3. “Piece of My Heart” – Janis Joplin
4. “Fighter” – Christina Aguilera
5. “So What” – Pink
6. “Stronger” – Britney Spears
7. “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor
8. “Miss Independent” – Kelly Clarkson
9. “FU” – Miley Cyrus
10. “Picture to Burn” – Taylor Swift
11. “Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift
12. “Before He Cheats” – Carrie Underwood
13. “Bad Reputation” – Joan Jett
When combined with rage and determination, this collection of blonde lady pop/rock songs (and a few angry brunettes) should be apart of any self-improvement plan. And it’s not just for girls. Change the pronouns, add some NSYNC or empowering hip hop songs a la ”I Don’t Fuck With You” and you’re good to go.